Thursday, February 21, 2008

Thing 7: Web 2.0 Communication Tools

We have a very strong email culture at my library. My manager and I send each other emails even when my cubicle is right outside her office. We discuss and make decisions via email. I find email very convenient and also an efficient mode of communication. I have accounts with Hotmail, Google and Yahoo and with Charter as well.

I also use email to stay in touch with family and friends abroad. It is free vs. high long distance charges you incur making international calls. I have also used online video chatting though the connections to some countries are poor which results in poor picture and audio quality.

At my Library, you can contact a Reference Librarian with questions during open business hours via AOL Instant Messenger(AIM), Yahoo! Instant Messenger or MSN Instant Messenger. I have noticed that different people prefer different types of modes of communication. There are some who insist on talking to a live person while others who prefere to IM or email.

I used OPAL Auditorium Online to participate in a Meet the Author event. It was pretty interesting to be able to "talk" to the author and other participants.

No comments: